The Borough of Media was the first town in the United States to achieve Fair Trade status. To do so it had to meet five criteria established by the British Fairtrade Foundation:
- A certain number of retailers (based on population) had to sell Fair Trade Certified items
- A certain number of businesses had to use Fair Trade Certified items
- The elected body of the community had to pass a resolution in support of Fair Trade promising to serve only Fair Trade Certified products at its meetings and events
- Establish an ongoing committee that promotes Fair Trade
- Promote media coverage of Fair Trade
On July 12, 2006, Media held a public ceremony announcing that it was a Fair Trade town.
More information on Fair Trade and Media's status as a Fair Trade town can be found on the Media Fair Trade website.