jasmith [at] mediaborough [dot] com (Jeffrey A. Smith)
Media Municipal Center
301 N. Jackson Street
Media, PA 19063
The Environmental Advisory Council shall advise Media Borough Council and the Borough of Media's Committees, and educate the citizens of the Borough of Media, on matters that affect the quality of the environment in the borough, including those relating to the protection, conservation, management, promotion, and use of natural resources, including air, land and water resources located within the Borough.
Meets the second Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m. except during August and December.
Members: 7 / term: 3 years
Citizen awareness needed to report water pollution
Citizens are encouraged to be on the lookout for illicit (illegal) discharges to our creeks and encouraged to call 911 or the “Hotline” numbers below to report them. Remember all of our storm drains lead to creeks, and there should be only rain going into these drain.
Over the past four months, residents in your watersheds have reported the follow-up illicit discharges and practices which can foul our creeks and drinking water: leaking sanitary sewer manhole covers (especially during dry weather), soapy or power washing water entering storm drains, strong sewage odors , odors of gasoline, swimming pool discharges into streets, broken water mains, drainage of sump pumps directly into creeks, dumping of trash and yard waste near creeks, running hoses into creeks or storm drains, and fish kills, by calling these numbers. Please save them for future reference. Your efforts are key to protecting clean water!
Examples of “Green” initiatives in Media Borough
• Media is a Pennsylvania Clean Energy Community
• The Borough is also an EPA Green Community
• Energy Star Certification with a rating of 91 (2012)
• Energy Efficient Lighting at Parking Garage with a 60% annual energy savings (2012)
• Programmable Thermostats at Borough Hall (2012)
• Occupancy Sensors at Borough Hall (2012)
• Eco‐Tour of Media (2011)
• Rain Garden/Rain Barrel Workshop (2011)
• Nine Solar Arrays on Public Buildings (2004‐2010)
• Rain Gardens installed at Borough Hall (2010)
• Big Belly solar powered compacting trash bins w/ recycling units installed (2012)
• Dog Waste Stations installed throughout the Borough (2012)
• Gayley Run Stream Naming Project with Media Elementary School (2012)
• Residential Energy Audit Workshops (2010 & 2012)
• Houtman Park Rehabilitation Project (2011 – present)
• Electric Vehicle Recharging Station (2011)
• Certificate of Excellence awarded by Clean Air Council for Borough’s commitment to purchasing 20% clean energy (2010)
• Media Elementary School Earth Day Activities (various years)
• Solar Signage and Banners (2010‐2011)
• Media Borough Ecological Footprint Study (2010)
• Chester‐Ridley‐Crum Watersheds Association Stream Clean‐up Sponsorship and Participation (all years since 2005)
• Media Recycles Recognition Decals (2008 – present)
• Media Fellowship House Award (2010)
• Governor’s Award for Environmental Excellence (2007)
• Stormwater/ Rain Barrel Workshops 2007
• Stormwater brochure for residents 2006
• Greenest Borough in PA Award, for putting solar array on the renovated Armory Building (now Trader Joe’s) (2004)
• Green Municipal Buyer Award from Green Power (2002)
Use the links below to find out what the Borough is doing with Energy, Water, and Recycling, and to find answers to some frequently asked questions.